We believe that artificial intelligence technologies hold great promise for raising the quality of people’s lives and can be leveraged to help humanity address important global challenges such as climate change, food, inequality, health, and education.
The Partnership on AI shares the following tenets:
- We will seek to ensure that AI technologies benefit and empower as many people as possible.
- We will educate and listen to the public and actively engage stakeholders to seek their feedback on our focus, inform them of our work, and address their questions.
- We are committed to open research and dialogue on the ethical, social, economic, and legal implications of AI.
- We believe that AI research and development efforts need to be actively engaged with and accountable to a broad range of stakeholders.
- We will engage with and have representation from stakeholders in the business community to help ensure that domain-specific concerns and opportunities are understood and addressed.
- We will work to maximize the benefits and address the potential challenges of AI technologies, by:
- Working to protect the privacy and security of individuals.
- Striving to understand and respect the interests of all parties that may be impacted by AI advances.
- Working to ensure that AI research and engineering communities remain socially responsible, sensitive, and engaged directly with the potential influences of AI technologies on wider society.
- Ensuring that AI research and technology is robust, reliable, trustworthy, and operates within secure constraints.
- Opposing development and use of AI technologies that would violate international conventions or human rights, and promoting safeguards and technologies that do no harm.
- We believe that it is important for the operation of AI systems to be understandable and interpretable by people, for purposes of explaining the technology.
- We strive to create a culture of cooperation, trust, and openness among AI scientists and engineers to help us all better achieve these goals.