The Partnership on AI (PAI) was jointly created by leading technology companies, civil society organizations, and academic institutions to maximize the benefits and confront the challenges of artificial intelligence (AI) technologies. As a global non-profit organization convening over 80 diverse member organizations, the Partnership seeks to study and formulate best practices on AI, advance the public’s understanding of AI, and serve as an open platform for discussion and engagement about AI and its influences on people and society.
To fulfill this objective, we recently launched PAI Labs, a Partnership-led AI technology, policy, and ethics research initiative designed to deliver on ambitious projects designed with collaborators in our community and the broader, multidisciplinary AI research field.
As a part of PAI Labs, we are launching the PAI Labs Research Fellowship program. We are calling upon researchers at our member organizations and in the wider AI community to join us for residential fellowships based at the Partnership on AI’s San Francisco offices. Research Fellows will conduct groundbreaking multi-disciplinary research for durations ranging from 6 months to 2 years, depending on project timelines and other factors. Applications for the Fellowship Program will be open on a rolling basis beginning February 2019.
Through PAI Labs, Research Fellows will be presented with unique industry opportunities to:
- Bring an idea to execution, from your home organization or elsewhere, that would be made more impactful by leveraging the Partnership’s voice and perspective, rather than just one company, lab, or organization’s.
- Design a project (individual or small-group) that calls upon, assists, or improves the work of the AI research community in a wider sense (for instance, creating ethical or safety benchmarks; proposing better techniques or practices for high-stakes applications; piloting ideas that may evolve into PAI best practices or standards).
- Drive a project or idea borne of the conversations and convenings hosted by PAI to execution.
Candidates for PAI Research Fellowships should have the following:
- Have a demonstrated track record of research and/or technology policy work in a field that is relevant to AI and/or machine learning (technical or non-technical), or to understanding and shaping its impact, opportunities, and consequences;
- Interest in helping PAI build a rich intellectual culture at PAI Labs with diverse and creative perspectives on the questions that surround the relationship between artificial intelligence technologies and humanity; and
- Have ideas for one or more project proposals that you, PAI’s staff, and our growing research community are excited to undertake, host, and collaborate on.
The following skills and attributes are also desirable or highly desirable for PAI Research Fellows:
- Demonstrated ability to communicate work compellingly in spoken and written form;
- Demonstrated track record of or interest in cross-disciplinary engagement;
- Ability to work from the Partnership’s offices in San Francisco for most or (ideally) all of the Fellowship;
- Ability to facilitate strong collaborations within the Partnership and the broader AI community, for instance: by being an employee or affiliate of a Partner organization; by having a strong track record of collaboration within the AI research community and/or having collaborators demonstrate interest in contributing to proposed Fellowship projects; or by having a track record of organizing events, gatherings, online or offline conversations, or other gatherings of research and practice.
Research Fellowships will be allocated in three bands of seniority:
- Postgraduate Research Fellowships are suitable for candidates who are nearing the end of a PhD or equivalent research degree;
- Research Fellowships are suitable for early to mid-career candidates, who have a PhD and a demonstrated track record of research and/or technology policy work; or who have more than a PhD equivalent level research, technical or policy experience and output in non-academic settings;
- Senior Research Fellowships are suitable for well-established, senior researchers who have led successful labs or research teams or have an extensive track record of research and/or policy work.
Our Commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity
The Partnership on AI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of employment, including recruiting, hiring, promoting, training, education assistance, social and recreational programs, compensation, benefits, transfers, discipline, and all privileges and conditions of employment. Employment decisions at PAI are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications.
PAI provides employees with a work environment free of unlawful discrimination and harassment based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion and religious creed, political affiliation, citizenship, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, breastfeeding and related medical conditions, marital status, registered domestic partner status, military or veteran status, legally protected medical condition (including cancer), physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristics, AIDS/HIV status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other protected classification under federal, state or local law.
PAI encourages applicants of all ages and backgrounds to apply. To ask any questions on the Fellowship Program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.